Monday, June 6, 2011

QUESTION: Is it a sin for a church to practice “Sunday School?”

Bible Questions & Answers

If you have a specific question you would like to ask, send it to Dan Allen jd03325@gmail.com You must give your name and e-mail address.
When I answer your question I will not show your name or e-mail address when I post your question to this blog.
I will make every effort to answer your questions within 3 days.
Each answered question will include a Scripture reference for the question. I urge you to read all scriptures from your Bible accepting only what the Bible teaches.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

QUESTION: Is it a sin for a church to practice “Sunday School?”
ANSWER: It is my opinion that as much as possible we need to avoid using
denominational terminology or phrases, simply because they many times denote
and define activities which are unscriptural! However, if by using the term
“Sunday School” we mean a certain time set aside on the first day of the week
during which people assemble to study the Bible, it is not sin. In fact we are
commanded, both by precept and example, to study (II Timothy 2:15; Acts 17:11). Nothing in God’s Word prohibits us from doing so on Sundays! Of course,
“Sunday School” should not be engaged in as a substitute for the scriptural
worship assembly (Acts 2:42; Acts 20:7; I Corinthians 16:1-2; Hebrews 10:25).